When developing a mobile or desktop test automation plan organization often struggle with the right scope and coverage for the project.
Achieving release agility with high quality is fully dependent today more than ever on continuous testing which is gained through proper test automation, however automating every test scenario is not feasible and not necessary to meet this goal.
In the below table we can see some very practical examples of test cases with various parameters with a Y/N recommendation whether to automate or no.
As shown below, and as a rule for both Mobile, Web and other projects the key tests by definition which should be added to an automation suite (from ROI perspective and TTM) are the ones who are:
- Required to be executed against various data sets
- Tests which ought to run against multiple environments (Devices, Browsers, Locations)
- Complex test scenario’s (these are time consuming and error prone when done manually)
- Tedious and repetitive test cases are a must to automate
- Tests which are dependent on various aspects (can be other tests, other environments etc.)
Bottom line: Automation is key in today’s digital world, but doing it right and wisely can shorten time to market, redundant resources and a lot of wasted R&D time chasing unimportant defects coming from irrelevant tests